Sympa Menu

cacert-policy - [CAcert-Policy] Requiring more information thoughts...

Subject: Policy-Discussion

[CAcert-Policy] Requiring more information thoughts...

  • From: Duane <duane AT cacert.org>
  • To: Policy-Discussion <cacert-policy AT lists.cacert.org>
  • Subject: [CAcert-Policy] Requiring more information thoughts...
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 13:25:42 +1000

One issue some people have stated is they worry about us issuing certificates for the likes of paypal.com, currently we require people to have code signing access before issuing IDN/punycode domain/email certificates, and a suggestion has been made for a similar requirement for anyone requesting certificates for high profile sites.

One way to determine popularity is by sites like alexa.com which give out rankings...

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?&range=6m&size=medium&compare_sites=&y=t&url=cacert.org#top

I guess the question is how popular must a site be if we want to enforce this, and over what time period?

The other concern I have is with educational institutions as a lot of depts run their own sub-domain but not the TLD, and this could be cause for concern if someone from the TLD started getting certs for other sub-domains they shouldn't and then intercepting traffic, and I have no idea what to do about this as it will potentially effect legit users one way or another...

--

Best regards,
 Duane

http://www.cacert.org - Free Security Certificates
http://www.nodedb.com - Think globally, network locally
http://www.sydneywireless.com - Telecommunications Freedom
http://happysnapper.com.au - Sell your photos over the net!
http://e164.org - Using Enum.164 to interconnect asterisk servers

"I do not try to dance better than anyone else.
    I only try to dance better than myself."

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.16.

Top of Page