Sympa Menu

cacert-policy - Re: [CAcert-Policy] Policy RFC ( Was: [Fwd: OFF-LIST! Re: [CAcert-Support] [website form email]: Trusted Third Party])

Subject: Policy-Discussion

Re: [CAcert-Policy] Policy RFC ( Was: [Fwd: OFF-LIST! Re: [CAcert-Support] [website form email]: Trusted Third Party])

  • From: Alaric Dailey <alaricd AT pengdows.com>
  • To: Policy-Discussion <cacert-policy AT lists.cacert.org>
  • Subject: Re: [CAcert-Policy] Policy RFC ( Was: [Fwd: OFF-LIST! Re: [CAcert-Support] [website form email]: Trusted Third Party])
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 23:39:44 -0500

Not to rain on your parade, but if they want to do this for the public at large, wouldn't they just become assurers and assign points more quickly?

If we stop and think about it, the only reason to create an "assurance agreement" like you talking about is so that they could assign 75 points each to the person, and thus give them their full assurance points to become an assurer themselves. But then it sure sounds like my "Power Assurer" idea from last week.

Alaric Dailey

Evaldo Gardenali wrote:

Hi
I just thought in a nice addition to our assurance policy, and submit it as a request for comments here :)

In case CAcert assures a "trusted" organization, we could establish an "assurance agreement" or something like that, so that these institution can offer easy access to CAcert assurances to the public at large.

It is worthy to note that most banks have at least two managers per site, meaning that TTP *is* a viable option, but maybe too complicated if it is going to happen "en mass". I was thinking more like a "WoT" form, without requiring them to mail documents to CAcert, but under special conditions, giving 150 points, for example, directly.

Of course, an ideal way would be to establish an "assurance agreement" contract, because we are delegating "super-assurer" status to an organization in a long-term basis.

So, as an RFC, we need comments, I think :)

Cya

Evaldo

Duane wrote:

CAcert Website wrote:

My company has just joined CAcert and am attempting to document who we are. We are Oak Hill Banks, a regional bank that covers the southern part of the state of Ohio in the US. I have sent emails to a few Assurers to establish who we are, but wonder if there is some way that we can establish our identity directly to CAcert. We would be able to validate other users in a large area of this state as we have identification measures that are not available to other people. Please advise.

Since you are a bank it's kind of very easy, we have a trusted third
party system to have ID information checked/verified and sent into us,
and one of the requirements allows bank managers to do the ID checks.

http://www.cacert.org/docs/TTP.pdf